Links to most of SCHA’s Founding Documents:
- SCHA Bylaws
- Articles of Incorporation
- Tax Exempt Status Application
- Tax Exempt letter from IRS
- Original Lease (replaced by Davis Model Lease)
Founding principles from our Articles:
From our Articles of Incorporation, 1979. Article II identifies the founding principles of SCHA. See a scan of the original typewritten document here.
The purposes for which this corporation is formed are:
A. The specific and Primary Purposes are:
1. To promote the social and general welfare of the community by offering low-cost housing to all persons regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, or sex.
2. To relieve from government the burden of providing housing for low income persons by creating and operating housing on a non-profit basis; and to continue to expand and extend such housing.
3. To advance the cause of education by providing inexpensive board and lodging for university students with limited resources, so that those who might not otherwise be able to continue at the University because of economic need, may enjoy the fruits and benefits of higher education.
4. To encourage and promote environmentally sound house design and lifestyle.
5. To provide technical assistance to other groups involved with non-profit community sponsored housing projects.
6. To engage an educational program designed to eliminate prejudice and discrimination in housing, and to further the principles of tolerance and cooperation.
These are the cool bits. If you’d like to check out the rest, you can also find more information and download the PDF of the original document from the Davis Wiki.